In France, according to INSEE, more than 9 out of 10 people (95% of over 15s) own a mobile phone. Text messages, emails, music, social networks, photos, films and series, weather, GPS, online games… On average, we consult it 221 times a day.
If the mobile phone has taken a central place in our lives: it is because it provides the function of administrative assistant, concert hall or cinema, diary, etc. But it is not because it concentrates a thousand and one uses that you must necessarily use all its features.
Every year, from February 6 to 8, the world days without mobile phones are an opportunity to question our relationship to this tool that has become an extension of ourselves. The idea is not to banish the laptop from our lives, but to use it more serenely.
Whether you want to temporarily reduce your screen time, or start a digital detox, these few tips may be useful:
- Limit notifications in your settings. Applications compete with solicitations to lure us into their nets. By choosing the banner style and the regularity of the notifications, you limit the temptation.
- Delete your social media apps and consult directly Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter etc. from your smartphone browser
- Treat yourself to breaks without screens: when no imperative constrains you, go shopping or for a walk with your hands in your pockets.
- At the restaurant, in the evening, when you share a moment with your family or colleagues, keep your phone in a jacket pocket or bag, not on the table.
- Bet on your laptop’s “sleep mode”: before going to sleep, switch to airplane mode and even better, move it away so as not to be tempted to consult it at night.
- To avoid throwing yourself on your laptop as soon as you wake up, invest in a real alarm clock. And while we’re at it, remember to check your watch, rather than the home screen of your laptop.
- In the morning, resist the urge to immediately grab your laptop. Take the time to wake up and get ready before consulting him. The most seasoned can wait until they leave their homes, or even arrive at work to deactivate airplane mode.