Home World News the 3 news of the night

the 3 news of the night

53
0

Moscow announces local ceasefires in Ukraine

Russia announced on Monday evening the establishment of local ceasefires in several Ukrainian cities from 07:00 GMT on Tuesday March 8 to allow the evacuation of civilians via humanitarian corridors. According to Moscow, the new evacuation routes will be communicated to the Ukrainian authorities, who must give their agreement before midnight on the night of Monday to Tuesday, the deadline set by Russia.

“The Russian Federation announces a ceasefire from 10:00 a.m. Moscow time (07:00 GMT) on March 8” for the evacuation of civilians from Kiev, as well as the cities of Sumy, Kharkiv, Cherniguiv and Mariupol, said in a press release the cell of the Russian Ministry of Defense, in charge of humanitarian operations in Ukraine. Moscow had already announced Monday morning the establishment of local ceasefires and the opening of corridors to allow the departure of civilians from several besieged cities. But Ukraine has refused to evacuate civilians to Russia, with four of the six corridors proposed by the Russians going to that country or its neighbor and ally Belarus.

READ ALSO :Behind Russia… allies and ambiguous countries

Separately, the International Atomic Energy Agency (AEIA) said overnight that it had received reports that artillery shells had damaged a nuclear research facility in Ukraine’s second besieged city, Kharkov, without “radiological consequences”. According to the Vienna-based UN body, Ukrainian authorities reported that an attack took place on Sunday, adding that no increase in radiation levels had been reported at the site.

Death of Steve: the Rennes prosecutor’s office announces the end of the investigation

The Rennes prosecutor’s office announced on Monday the end of the investigation of the Steve Maia Caniço case, who died in 2019 during a controversial police operation during the Fête de la Musique in Nantes, in which a former prefect is indicted for ” manslaughter “. “On March 7, 2022, the investigating magistrate, considering that the information seems to him to be over, communicated the file to the public prosecutor of Rennes so that he could take his requisitions” for a referral or not to a court, said prosecutor Philippe Astruc in a press release.

Read:   With the war in Ukraine, NATO reinvented the tsar

In this case, Philippe Astruc recalls that the magistrate in charge of the investigation “indicted for manslaughter” three people who were in office at the time of the events: the police commissioner in charge of the device, the sub-prefect and chief of staff of the prefect of Loire-Atlantique, as well as the prefect Claude d’Harcourt. The final decision on whether to hold a trial will rest with the investigating judge in charge of the case.

READ ALSO :Death of Steve in Nantes: a police commissioner indicted for “involuntary homicide”

Steve Maia Caniço, extracurricular animator, had disappeared after a police operation intended to put an end to an electro evening on the banks of the Loire on the night of June 21 to 22, 2019. His body had been found, in the river, more than a month later. late July 29. The police claimed to have suffered projectile jets and had responded by firing 33 tear gas canisters, 12 defense bullets (LBD) and 10 disencirclement grenades, according to a report by the General Administration Inspectorate (IGA), which had critical “lack of discernment” from the commissioner. Participants in the sound system on the banks of the Loire had reported being blinded by a cloud of tear gas.

Read:   Iraq: between exile, Daesh and blocked political situation, the disarray of young Kurds

Guantanamo detainee repatriated to Saudi Arabia

A Saudi detainee from Guantanamo military prison, suspected of having attempted to participate in the September 11 attacks, has been repatriated to Saudi Arabia, the US Department of Defense announced on Monday. “On February 4, 2022 Secretary of Defense (Lloyd) Austin notified Congress of his intention to repatriate Mohammed Al-Qahtani to Saudi Arabia. Together with our Saudi partners, we have fulfilled the conditions required for a secure transfer”a statement said.

Mohammed Al-Qahtani had been accused of being the 20th hijacker who should have participated in the attacks of September 11, 2001. Captured in Afghanistan in December 2001, he had been one of the first prisoners transferred to Guantanamo in January 2002 The Guantanamo Board of Review had determined in June 2021 that his detention was not “no longer necessary” to protect the security of the United States from “serious threat”, recalls the press release from the Ministry of Defense. In particular, the committee took into account “the prisoner’s very poor mental health”the “family support he could have”and the “quality” care he would receive in his country.

READ ALSO :The disappearance of a Syrian ex-detainee from Guantanamo raises the question of life after the camp

The tortures that were imposed on Mohammed Al-Qahtani have been widely documented. In particular, he was subjected to a prolonged solitary confinement regime, sleep deprivation or humiliation linked to his religion. A total of 38 detainees remain at Guantanamo, including 19 eligible for transfer, seven eligible for review by the Review Board and ten others, including the alleged mastermind of the 2001 attacks, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, says “KSM”are awaiting trial by a military commission.

Previous articlePope Francis dreams of mediating with Putin
Next articleBehind Russia… allies and ambiguous countries